visual plans for the first week of school

I thought I would blog today a little bit about what I plan to do with my firsties the first week of school! The other day I mentioned that I planned out the first week (due to NOT being able to get into my classroom-yikes!). The document I created is a detailed daily plan in a Word document, but today I saw some visual plans posted over at Swimming into Second and I thought it might be fun to put together my own! Here's what I came up with:






It looks so...manageable...in chart format! Haha! You'll notice that the first day is jam packed. That is DELIBERATE. We don't usually have specials the first day of school and I do NOT want to run out of stuff to do. (Going into year 9 and it hasn't happened yet!) Usually I get to just a teeny tiny fraction of what I intend to do the first day and so I move some things around to make room. It usually works out because in week 2 I will suddenly discover I have oodles of TIME because the routines that took approximately a thousand minutes to accomplish in the first week suddenly begin to run like clockwork.

During the first week we tend to not start with "The Curriculum" right away because we have all of that fuuun baseline testing to get out of the way AND kids keep trickling in for hours and days after the bell on the first day! (There was one year when I had a student sitting in second grade all morning before they realized she as actually supposed to be in first-ooops!) But we can't just sit around twiddling our thumbs and playing games all day (although we will have fun). I do like to introduce some comprehension strategies and begin with story elements very early, plus spend oodles of time on rituals and routines. I also start launching the math workshop in week 1. I want them to get used to working in groups pretty quickly and that first week is fun with math tubs of manipulatives to explore.

If you want your own copy of the plans, click on the pictures and they are yours! I made the pictures in the plans clickable if the activity relates to something I've gotten off of the Internet or TpT. One of my files is in there on several days. Feel free to hop on over to TpT and take a peek, it's brand new!

Please leave me a comment if this was helpful for you-I might do a week 2! ;)

No comments